Sourdough pita bread is not only versatile but also very popular in many cultures. It’s an essential component of many dishes, including falafel and shawarma. The pita bread acts as the perfect vessel for these types of foods, as it holds everything together without getting too soggy. It also has the perfect texture to scoop up chummus and other salatim, making it a great addition to any mezze platter.
However, sourdough pita bread can be used for any type of sandwich or even as a base for pizza. The sturdy structure of the bread makes it ideal for loading it up with all your favorite toppings. Whether you’re a fan of classic cheese and tomato pizza or enjoy experimenting with different ingredients, sourdough pita bread is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional pizza crusts.
It took several attempts and lots of experimentation to perfect this recipe. I tested it with different flours and methods until I found the perfect ratios for the best pita bread. Sourdough pita bread is not only delicious but also offers numerous health benefits. It is easier to digest, has a lower glycemic index, and is rich in nutrients, making it a healthier option for those who are health-conscious.
Sourdough Pita Recipe
- 540g all-purpose flour
- 85g active starter (bubbly, at its peak)
- 340g water
- 12g salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, active starter, water, and salt.
- Knead the dough well for 7-8 minutes by hand or 4-5 minutes in a machine until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest in a warm place for 4 hours, or refrigerate it for 8-12 hours. If refrigerated, remove the dough from the fridge 3-4 hours before shaping to let it come to room temperature.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, and form each piece into a ball. Cover with a damp cloth and let them rest for 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F and place a pizza stone or an upside-down cookie sheet in the oven.
- Roll out each ball into a circle that is 7-9 inches in diameter.
- Bake the pitas for about 3-5 minutes on the preheated pizza stone or upside-down cookie sheet until they are puffy and lightly browned.
- Remove the pitas from the oven and wrap them in a clean towel until ready to use.