Shepherd’s pie is the ultimate British comfort food, and for good reason. It’s a hearty filling one pot meal which you can’t ever turn down if offered to you. It’s one of those foods even the pickiest little eaters (let’s pretend only the little ones can be picky) will finish the plate and most likely ask for doubles that’s why I love to make! Originally shepherd’s pie was made with minced lamb but I adapted it with beef.
Bonus points it’s almost a one pot meal=Happy mum=happy family!
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 lb ground meat
- 3 oz tomato paste
- ½ cup chicken or beef stock
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 cp frozen peas
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the potatoes into a medium size pot; add the salt, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook 20-25 min or until potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes add olive oil, pepper and mash, stir in egg yolk until combined.
- Meanwhile the potatoes are cooking sauté the onion and carrots in an oven proof 10 or 12 inch skillet for 5 minutes, add garlic and cook additional 3 minutes add the meat, tomato paste, stock, salt, and pepper and cook for 10 minute, stirring the meat until it’s all crumbled. Add the peas the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Spread the potatoes over the meat, decorate peaks with a fork. Place skillet in oven and bake 30 minutes.